The present curricula for ICT in Education aims at realising the goals of the National Policy of ICT in Schools Education and the National Curriculum Framework.
Given the dynamic nature of ICT, the curricula, emphasising the core educational purposes, is generic in design and focuses on a broad exposure to technologies, together aimed at enhancing creativity and imagination of the learners.
For the teacher, it is an initiation into:
- Exploring educational possibilities of technology,
- Learning to make right choices of hardware, software and ICT interactions, and
- Growing to become a critical user of ICT.
For the student, it is an initiation into:
- Creativity and problem solving,
- An introduction to the world of information and technologies, and
- An opportunity to shape career pursuits.
Teachers who are already proficient in ICT can fast track through the course.
Based on availability of infrastructure and access, students can begin as early as grade 6, in any case, completing the course before they leave school.